Sunday 15 April 2007

Cycling Fan Again

My fan following of cycling races other than the local scene waxes and wanes through the season. Early season drama sucks me in, then I shut it out completely when doping scandals take hold.

But this year has been nothing but good news so far. If you haven't already, tune into Mical's race calendar and watch her whip booty down in the US (her blog link is over to the right). First NMBS race, Sea Otter, it's all been good so far, and I'm thoroughly impressed. And I know I'm safe from hearing the next doping scandal here (unless they find some performance enhancers in ice cream, as I've never seen anyone with more ice cream in their diet than Mical).

And secondly, while we're into "big bike races" and "big bike marketing", who can believe that I'm trucking around every weekend on the same bike that's won Paris-Roubaix two years running? That's kind of cool. I keep telling everyone those skinny little stays seem to make the bike feel fairly comfortable (even though I'm only talking rough pavement, not anything meaningful like cobbles). Last year was a break from 16k out, and this year was from 20k out. That takes guts, and some serious strength. Love it!

2 comments:

  1. Greetings -- I enjoyed reading your last entry on cycling. Would you be interested in publishing any articles on the Protour?

    michelle@sportingo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've got to love the Cervelo... I've had people mock my P2C for being as common as an ipod, but there's a reason why they sell so many of them - they're great bikes!

    PS - I think some Calgary roads are almost as bad as the cobbles...

    ReplyDelete