Monday 19 December 2011

Montana

Border asked if we (I) was moving "back" to US, I said we just don't pack light, have a few activities in mind for holidays. Asked if I was going to work here, said my goal was to get away from work for the holidays, but my blackberry probably wouldn't let it happen till next week. Asked if I was a pro bike racer coming down for a race - too bad I wasn't. But probably wouldn't be driving that car if I was. So for whatever reason, a bunch of work questions were the theme this time.

We ate dinner in Great Falls at Applebees, actually a nice one on the river. Montana football game on tv had everyone riled up, quite the deal in the place when any points scored. We ordered from the "low cal" section of the menu, girl did a double take and asked again what I ordered, said "I haven't heard anyone order from there since I've been here". Mine was a shrimp with asian style ginger sauce and all kinds of veggies on rice. Entirely tasty normal size meal (menu said they were guaranteed at 550 cal). Cindy's was chicken with portabello mushrooms. Comical how that reinforced the big meal stereotype on our first sit down meal in country.

Slept in Helena. Called in advance for hotel, guy said don't bother with reservations, they've got lots of space. I guess so far that confirms that road tripping in the western US during a "depression" shouldn't pose too many logistical challenges. Beautiful new one downtown (best western, like, surprisingly beautiful) in a downtown redevelopment of theatre, shops, walking streets, etc. to make a pedestrian friendly cute district. I asked they guy where to park, he motioned for right across the street in a lot. Any security concerns? Here, never. Nice town, seems to be doing right things to keep itself as a nice place.

Next morning we made some hotel home made waffles and headed out. Morning staff was friendly. Went to a coffee place where everyone was beaming with energy and seemed happy. Then stopped at a gas station, and I accidentally pulled up wrong side of car to pump. I backed up and slid over to the other side. Car was as empty as I've ever had. Other pumps were full serve. Kid came out, then what I'd guess was his brother and his dad. They hand wiped all the windows and lights. One checked all tires' pressure. One vacuumed the floor mats. They were upbeat, friendly and helpful. I went in to pay, and the station had model cars along the walls from 50's to present. Locally authored books about Black Hills settlers, bandits, animals, etc. Christmas ornaments ship shape. Their shop looked like a model shop - tidy, well arranged, full for vintage motor oil and gasoline ads on the walls. Probably the most memorable gas station experience I've had.

No comments:

Post a Comment