Wednesday 6 July 2011

BC Bike Race Day 4

Bus and ferry this morning to Earl's Cove were relaxing and fun. Nice hot clear day lay ahead, with some longer distance and likely longer time out on the trails. They don't let anyone warm up in Earl's Cove as the public road there is a militarized zone occupied by ferry people. Makes for a fun road climb right off the start. Legs like cement for me; probably a peloton full as well.

I thought I'd go a bit easier and just spin out the start. I went a bit tempo, but not killer. Fine till the crest then onto the cut line. Felt fine for a while then just got a bad case of slow again. Ended up riding on my own behind group two for probably 90 mins, then really slowed and spun granny for another 90 mins. During that time had the next big couple groups come by. Thought I was eating/drinking smart and right ingredients, but just kinda had the fuel lines stop supplying. Who knows. It was hot, I'm not always great at that. I don't know anymore sometimes. Pat and Trish both went by looking like they were on missions.

Plucked away at the singletrack in the middle of some super aggressive group of a dozen. Weird vibe actually. Just slowed up a few meters and climbed the switchbacks behind someone to give myself room for the on and off bike at corners/rocks. Guy behind me chatted me up and asked why I was riding back there with them, as he said it looked like I knew how to ride a bike better. Funny. I just said cause I'm trying to get to the finish and am tired and going about the speed I can go, which is the truth. Internally though the debate was maybe because I'm a weakening, desk sitting office dweller. Maybe its couch sitting, crypto sporidium, the resulting hemorhoid/saddle time killer, yada yada and not biking like the good old days with a decent commute and fuller riding schedule. Or maybe it's the extra pounds too. Or all of the above.

I started longing for the days of repeatable, semi reliable fitness that was respectable enough to have fun with... but I used to ride so much more (cause and effect usually add well, and the math I'm on says the effect I'm experiencing is probably about accurate to the sum of the cause). Oh well, I guess I'm better off being unimpressed by myself than others feeling that way.

Everytime I'd come out on a gravel road, people would accelerate off. That's the fun way to do it. Plodding along just to make distance is less fun than feeling like a little energy is available for use.

Found a wrong turn somewhere with another guy, few minutes down and about 10 back up. At the rate I was going I wasn't too rattled. Just interrupted the single track.

IT band acted up in last 90 mins, really didn't like that. Hurt standing to pedal, which in the singletrack at the end is pretty required.

Seem to be getting weaker each day rather than stronger. No mechanicals, flats, chain suck, cramps or otherwise though which is of course very nice. I see so many flats and guys slipping on roots... still don't get how people don't see the performance and fun tradeoff with the reliability of tubeless, esp UST. Rode almost whole course, don't remember many dismounts. Once I slowed I made it a point to ride everything just to keep some fun in the day. Didn't have a hard time with the steep climbs either on the legs, other than the IT would twinge with pain, but just could go one pace. Missed my massage, drove some girl to the ferry terminal so it was an hour sitting in a car. Legs feel cement-ish, trying to work on IT band.

Course tomorrow shortened plus sleep in time expanded.

1 comment:

  1. Keep on plugging away, E. You're doing great. Every day is different and so many things have to line up - the conditions, your body, your mind. Don't let it get you down if one of these things is out of whack. It will be back tomorrow. Or the next day. I promise.

    ReplyDelete