Friday 29 April 2011

TransPortugal Day 0

Craig and I roomed together and woke up to a room full of sunshine to contrast last night's rain. Had a great breakfast at the hotel and started recognising all the faces from before. The organisers (and the portuguese in general!) are warm people and I'm entirely surprised by how many remember me.

Standing in brief registration lines meant more catching up. Saw Cassie and Tom; Cassie is helping here again and has kept in contact with many of the names we remembered from last time, and as well they both met Dallas in the race across the west. Cindy would like being here too I suspect...

Putting bikes together is the usual fumbling around. People seem amused that Jon and I can pull nice bikes out of small boxes; he has my grey S&S box and took the rear linkage off his frame to fit everything. My bike is ready to race, don't know about my body. I'd look more normal with my Cannondale here, I don't know if it's the euro weight weenie thing or just an effective Portuguese distributor, but there's lots.

Lunch is all natural and pure power. Make your own salad with oil and vinegar for dressing, tuna and beans salad, pasta salad and a few desserts. They eat natural/healthy here.

Briefing was thorough and good. GPS overview was too. I nodded off for a few minutes, but so far time zone change is feeling mild.

Test ride was fun. We went into town to get cell phones for Jon, Kate, and Jon's room mate Steve. €19 gets a phone, then pay as you go. Cheaper than losing a blackberry out there.

We rode to the Braganca castle in the rain then did part of the route to start getting used to GPS route following. Easy enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment