Wednesday 27 April 2011

Trans-Portugal bound

Today Jon, Craig and I travel to Portugal. I'd say Kate too as she'll be there, but since she's already in Norway, the bulk of her travel is done.

Needless to say, we're excited. This is the only stage race I've not officially completed, as the heat wave relative to Calgary's cool spring last time absolutely confounded my body. The temperature differential for the first few days appears more minimal, say 10C this time rather than the -5C to 35C jump last time.

The race has expanded by two days and clocks in at just short of 1,200km. I'm tackling that with my base of... well, mostly investment banking. At least my weight is up 15lbs from last time.. err, wait a second, that's the wrong direction too.

Anyway, look for my name on the results below my friends. I'll try to maximize the riding I do given the starting point I'm at. Regardless, I'll enjoy the fresh Portuguese spring air.

It's funny - the 9 days and ~1,200k of this race will be the biggest I've (we've) ever done. Having said that it's less than 1/10th of what Tori has been up to, and by world standards, Portugal is like a child's playground vs. Africa.

The ipad2 came and is up and running, what a marvel of technology.

Lastly, Jon, Craig and I booked seats by each other, but alas today was my lucky day where they undersold some of the business class lie down beds. I got called up to the counter for the lucky-day upgrade, and I've gotta oblige and take it. Sorry guys, can't pass that one up!

1 comment:

  1. Good luck boys! I'll be cheering you on from Calgary.

    ReplyDelete