Tuesday 19 April 2011

Things that are hard when tired

Airport check in ticket machine won't print baggage tags no matter how many tries. Oops it won't for US flights regardless, it just never tells you that and it's hard to deduce things this morning.

Check in to get tags girl "Palm Springs is so sunny and warm it'll be great". Inner voice - it sure will if I get out of the meeting room.

US customs guy - "you don't have the hotel address where you're staying on here". I don't know if I have it, I have an itinerary with a pickup at the airport going to that hotel/resort. "Sir, if you go back outside the customs doors you can make a call to find the address". I did. I don't think the next one I went to on re-entry cared.

Bag tosser onto the carousel once through US customs: "what do you have in here, rocks?". No rocks on this trip. "No really, what do you have in here?". Pitchbooks. Please just don't make me unpack them all to show them to you.

Big fat guy at waiting lounge cafeteria looking at my breakfast, a veggie tray I picked compared to greasy eggs a guy nearby was eating. "That's too healthy for this time of day, you'll live for sure if you keep eating like that." Uhh, can I just pass on this conversation? Look, I know you're trying to be nice. But what if I reversed this; would it be appropriate for me to say that greasy eggs and bacon looks like it's sticking to your ribs and your 280lbs are gonna die early? My fitness and health habits are taking a beating the last few weeks, and this tray of stuff surprisingly tastes full of flavour instead of hothouse bland veggie flavour. I thought I'd just stick to myself over here and cling to a thread of dietary justice in anonymity.

No comments:

Post a Comment