Thursday 19 August 2010

Ups and Downs

Well, I don't know what to say other than the last year caught up with me today like a ton of bricks.  Not a good day by a long shot for my inner workings, but we'll skip that and fast forward to...

...Devin, Craig, Gabor and I met to head out to Moose Mountain to find a full parking lot of riders out there.  We did the full Pneuma up to Special K, on which I did my best to exorcise some demons on the climb (although undoubtedly the other three were just at 80%).  Good god it felt good.  Cleaned the climb to Race of Spades, then had one dab, then broke a pedal.  No good; hard to climb after that.

Started down Special K after Craig, then just had a bit of an epiphany... something inside needed to cash chips in on the "live life, taste death" motto.  My Scalpel with an underpressured rear shock, worn out brake pads, and crap bald tires asked me if we could kick it up a notch or two... which in turn required me to nicely ask Craig if I could slide by.  Next step was relaxing, turning off the brain, looking up the trail and taking long slow breaths.  Somewhere in there the brakes got used less.  Heavenly... just rolled while smiling down Special K's steeps and nice re-route.  

We did ridgeback next, where I came around a corner and scared the crap out of myself and the juvenile moose that was 10' ahead.  Holy cow those things are massive.  I don't need to see them that close, ever!

Nightfall came and we blundered in (ok, I did most of the blundering with tinted prescription lenses) to station flats.

One of those classic days where mountain biking just feels so right.  Where we play and go home after the sun sets.  When Craig and Devin and Gabor and I are having just as much fun as we can.  Perfect!

No comments:

Post a Comment