Monday 1 February 2010

Wildside Tasmania Day 3

Had a good post race shower last night, actually sort of prefer the back to nature of the lake swims.  There was a big group BBQ ("where's the barbie at mate?" was the most popular question in tent village) which was solidly executed.  I went to bed early and woke up late, except for Tasmania's most annoying bird visiting at 3am.

I can't believe how early people get up for the starts, but my TT start time is 10:44 today so it appears yesterday moved me the right direction a bit.  We do a 6k time trial this morning that also goes through some big tunnel for novelty, then ride coastline this afternoon.

There's a great steady grade hill on the edge of town that served well for warmup duty, despite an ominous sign at the bottom near a gravel off road that says "Fatigue can be fatal".  Of course that runs contrary to my cycling experience, but I think they meant that bushwalking too far into the wilderness isn't smart out here.  Needless to say that wasn't what I wanted churning around subliminally before the time trial.

The TT at 6k was a pure gut buster as expected.  Rode up a paved then gravel climb right off the start, through a local track for either BMX or motocross, through some good tight singletrack, on a gradual grade mining road through the big tunnel, then flat out for the last 2k on level ground into a headwind.  It was a really well rounded course.  I was a hair over 20 minutes, probably would have cracked 20 if I hadn't come across one of my minute men (30 second intervals were done for starting) who was sideways and upside down on a single track corner, no idea how he pulled that one off.  It was funny though, he decided to wear a sequined, rainbow tank top for the ride.  Had a mild cough going for the rest of the day in response to overdosing on air yet still apparently not getting enough to my legs. 

Our 12k cruise stage took us on white gravel road to the coast, where if you sailed west for 10 weeks you may hit Africa.  Seemed a bit windy over on that edge...

Since we ate right on the coast, the last few k's were straight down, and yes post lunch we got to mass start race up it, probably a 5k gravel climb.  I tried not to think about it while eating fruits and sandwiches and loading up on the local french pressed coffee.

The climb actually went well, and with the mass start I was soon back to riding with the guys I hadn't seen since day 1, it's great motivation to pass the people between where I'm starting and where I'd approximately settle in.  The coastline trail was steep and rolly, power climbs that it took everything just to stay riding, followed by loose rock descents or massive slabs of rock covered in ball bearings (or fine white ash tray sand).  It suited me well, I could just survive the climbs but tried to power over the tops and rest on the way down instead of when the grade flattened.  There were a couple hike a bike climbs where the bottom of the gullies were impassable and remounting for the other side wasn't in the cards.  These coincided with the 5k to go sign so I hike a biked as hard as my engine would allow, which the guys who had settled into their spots didn't seem to like.  Oh well.  I figured I'd pop a gel while running and make sure I didn't fade for the end as I was squarely in their sights.

Last 2k were open, headwind and rolly steep climbs.  I shoulder checked and didn't feel keen on being hunted down by 4 guys, so dug in and suffered.  I think they gave up cause by the end the gap had widened. 

All day was beautiful and sunny.  The course is great, it's not BC singletrack (nowhere has that) but it was technical enough in it's own way that skilled riding made a noticeable difference.  The organization was good, by the time we were bussed to the next town, bikes and tents and luggage were their waiting.  I sat in the front seat of the first bus (the delinquent seat as the driver called it) and chatted to the lady driving, who was a total card. 

It's nice to actually feel like a bit of an athlete again, pushing right up to redline on dozens of climbs with energy for going over the top and knowing you'll avoid popping.  My back muscles are sore, but only of a sign of steep climbs and leg muscles stronger than my back.  I never feel more alive than stage races, I'm still on the upswing on this one where I feel stronger each day than more beaten down.  Good times!

Ps.  That powerhouse who passed me on the second competiton stage on day 1 flatted earlier I think, no other reason on earth he was behind!

1 comment:

  1. "Hells Gates, the narrow mouth at the head of Macquarie Harbour was a daunting site to the arriving convicts, as it signalled the beginning of hell on earth for them."
    That's a quote from their site referring to day 4's local. Neat history.

    ReplyDelete