Thursday 4 February 2010

Callout 2 - Australian Internet

Through the last two weeks I've found Australian internet to be the worst of any advanced country I've visited.

I didn't want to be hasty and base my judgment on Tasmania alone, as I understand how remote it is.  Even now in Sydney I'm not experiencing evidence of any better, whether it's wifi or internet over 3G.  Yes, basic economics apply - large space, relatively small number of people.  But this can be addressed, and isn't as expensive as it once was.  On the contrary, the opportunity cost should be counted, and is high.  I had better access almost anywhere in Cambodia.

I've also read up on the politics, and the populace's opinion of the politics of the issue.  Obviously the way those go varies greatly, but I don't see a lot of credible reason to keep your heads in the proverbial sand of modernity.  Even just for the love of modern democracy make it better. 

I don't get it.  Australia go buy a satellite or two more, juice them up with as much bandwidth as you can, and figure out how to have it proliferate through the country a hundred times better than it is.  I haven't experienced connections this bad since dial up modems in 1995.  Such is what happens when you still have one monopoly carrier?  Canada is "big and spread out" too, yet you also have the same fact where a few cities make up the bulk of the population.  That's workable - start with those!

My understanding is this country has felt "distant" its whole history.  Here's a modern fix to close the gap at your fingertips.  Seriously, the internet service I've found here so far is a total joke. 

The current standard is patheticly feeble!  If you can re-jig the rules of Australian Rules Football around "diving" because it's "embarrassing and un-manly" as quoted on TV the other day please do so for your internet as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment