Saturday 30 January 2010

Callout 1 - Timex

I'm gonna break with my general aim of positivity here for two topics, the first being Timex.  Before this trip I bought a new Timex Ironman watch, a replacement for my old one. I bought it at a store in Bankers Hall out of convenience rather than price point... ouch, $90. 

My other one filled with water 1 month after warranty expired (ie. 1 month plus one year).  Timex - note - your watches are supposed to last longer than this.  I don't abuse them, I'm an office jockey 95% of the time.  That kind of just post warranty failure is so Chrysler 1981 not Timex - Japan is supposed to march to the beat of a different drum.  Has anyone nocticed a multi decade trend in the declining price of small microchips?  Apparently Timex is trying to convince their customers this doesn't apply to their product, sheesh.  Aside from the failure itself, the conversation with the sales lady was a joke unto itself:

Lady:  (after I've waved her down since I was standing at the Timex case and looking straight at her for a minute) Hi, can I help you?‬‪
E: Yes, thanks.  Can you open the glass, I'll buy that one‬‪.
Lady: Do you want to try it on?‬‪
E: No, I'll just buy it, I have the same one‬‪.
Lady: Then why are you buying another?‬‪
E:  I spoke to you two days ago actually, and the cost you described of sending it in and having it fixed doesn't make economic sense to repair it, plus I want it now cause I'm leaving town soon for a bit. 
Lady: I don't remember, that's too bad.
E: I'm also a bit of a fan of supporting planned obsolecense too.
Lady: Well, it is only a $90 watch‬‪ sir (suffice to say, the tone of this nearly made me flip).
E: $90 is a lot of money as the world goes, and a lot of markup, because they're like $50 at Costco and $55 at Walmart.
Lady:  We've just opened and this location costs more.
E:  Yeah, I know, but it's convenient and that's why I'm here.  It still isn't right that a Timex failed after warranty expired.
Lady:  We have many fine watches here with long warranties and higher quality you could look at.
E: I just prefer basic watches that don't say "mug me" when I travel, plus they're comfortable, and I get joy out of the inverse status symbol of it relative to all the expensive ones floating around.
Lady: Do you do sports?
E: Yes, lots.
Lady: That may be what shortened it's lifespan.
E: (Picture disbelief and frustration here).  But this model is the "Ironman", and Timex's motto is "it takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'"‬‪.
Lady: Uhh, do you want the box with that?‬‪
E: No, just let me put it on and pay you and be on my way.

Yes, I know I'm not always game for sales pitches and those types of conversations, sorry.  But I'm also not game for someone attempting to shame me, with terrible arguments, especially at a cheap watch boutique (their high end ones were tacky Guess ones and such).  I'd sound like even more of an ass if I guessed at how many hours of her wages equated to a Timex such that she's so qualified to pass them off as cheap.  Plus, for a side note, how would Timex feel if they knew their retail store sales people who are the front lines of marketing their product are making derogatory comments about them?

Ps.  I contacted Timex and asked about warranty with a picture, description of timing of failure relative to purchase.  They promptly said they'd fix it and send it back to me as long as I sent it $7 insured mail.  So basically the chick at the store was lying through her teeth and trying to scrub big margins off me to send it in.  Yuck. 

I feel a millimeter better now, I just hope Timex reads this!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like Watch It might have themselves a repeat customer!

    ReplyDelete