Saturday 23 January 2010

9 to 5



I came home cold, tired, slow and hungry today... generally felt like jelly I couldn't figure out why my fitness wasn't a little better after going out for a ride with what ended up being a gang of 8. Turns out that after starting with Craig at 9am on single speeds, we ended up riding single track and paths all day, only arriving home at 5pm. I hadn't followed our time very well, we stopped for an hour combined at two lunch spots... but that still equates to 7 hours of torquing or spinning my single speed. I lost my bottle before first stop (it was 6 years old, gonna miss it), so needed to drink more at the stops. It's harder to fumble for food through pockets, so we just kind of rode on what energy we could produce, other than a lunch.

The -10C with light snow probably sapped a few extra calories to keep the furnace warm... it's funny when I'm trying to tune up fitness for Tasmania that a relatively colourless landscape (other than grey, white, and street slush colour) is the training ground.

Gerry had the Pugsly out, doing extra duty pushing that around. Craig, Dallas and I rode single speeds. Ken, Shawn and Kyle had mountain bikes, and Lauchlan showed up last minute on a 'cross bike and hung in well all day on the singletrack, and excelled on the bike path sections! Most of the way through the ride we saw Jamie Sparling doing his training ride too, it's good when you can recognize the other hard cores from 40 yards away into the snowfall.

2 comments:

  1. I'm impressed you guys were out today - that wind was not fun...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, the landscape is very dull this time of year... strange how I didn't notice that more when I was riding ?

    ReplyDelete