Wednesday 8 July 2009

James Larter, March 4, 1976 - July 6, 2009







I grew up next door to little brother John Larter (meaning my age) and his older brother James for 15 years when I first moved to Calgary. I never beat him in a kids wrestling match, go figure. He, John and I took turns at Calgary city championships in wrestling for years, different weight categories of course. A true competitor and good motivator at that point. It seemed to grow to be more than sport for James, he probably loved fighting/combat analagous to my love of cycling. Last time we spoke he was recovering from a broken neck and sinus cavity from one of the full contact fighting matches that have become popular... and I think I have bad days when my legs are bleeding after miscellanous mountain bike scrapes. I have no idea what happened in the end, all I know is that my time in the vicinity of physical conflict/combat, whether it be sport or otherwise, has been very small in comparison to the time James spent exploring that realm. Similarly his time spent in the vicinity of traffic on bicycles is infinitely smaller.

My condolences to the Larter family and especially buddy John. Will see everyone Friday.

Am I surprised? Hey, one day I may be mowed down by a car while riding my bike. Would that surprise anyone? Shock and sadness? Yes. True surrprise? I guess I can't say so, but that's just my view of the world.

Same end, different path, guided by passion.

James, Rest in PEACE.

LARTER , James Dale March 4, 1976 - July 6, 2009 James Dale Larter of Calgary went to be with his Lord and Saviour on July 6, 2009 at the age of 33 years. He will be lovingly remembered by his daughter Monique; father John and mother Matilda; sister Tara and her husband Evan; brother John and his wife Danit and his nephew JohnJohn; as well as numerous relatives and friends whose lives he truly touched. Although our hearts are broken beyond repair, because of our faith in Christ we declare "Death is swallowed up in victory. Where, O death, is your victory? Where, O death, is your sting?" I Cor. 15:54b-55. Memorial Services will be held at CALGARY CREMATORIUM CHAPEL, 3219 - 4 Street N.W., (within the valley of Queen's Park Cemetery) on Friday, July 10, 2009 at 2:00 p.m.

CALGARY - A downtown resident critically wounded in a stabbing early Saturday has since died of his injuries. James Dale Larter, 33, died in hospital Monday, police confirmed this morning.
There are few details about the case, which began about 4:50 a.m. Saturday when police responded to a disturbance inside a condo building in the 1000 block of 6th Avenue S.W. When they arrived, they found Larter lying in a hallway. The killing is Calgary's 15th homicide of 2009.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry about the loss.

    I have a new blog, and here is the link if you would like to see it.

    http://phoyote.blogspot.com/


    Best regards
    PND.

    ReplyDelete