Saturday 18 July 2009

Cold Turkey Canmore Triathlon

Today I completed my first triathlon, an olympic distance one in Canmore. I thank people who are into tri's for encouraging me to try one. It was fun, the three sport mix was a neat departure from what I usually do. Results of the event are here. I hope to use this knowledge, and a little prep time if I can fit it in, to make the upcoming Calgary 70.3 more fun, and have it feel more like an athletic accomplishment, than just feeling like I got dragged through it like a rag doll.

Shawn and I survived the swim, I did a slow and plodding transition then hopped on the bike, which felt like autopilot and home sweet home. I actually didn't ride well as my overall energy is low, but considering where I came out of the water, it wasn't hard to feel like a rock star. Shawn and I rode into the second transition basically at the same time, as he rode faster.

The run transition was snappier, and after the first few kilometers, settled into the pace that would work. Eventually Shawn passed me at his sustainable rate... and before I knew it, it was over.

Shawn was 2:45 ish and I don't know mine, but 5+- mins more a decent guess.

We watched Claire on her run lap and finish, and cheered her on. She says her day felt good but was slower, either way she looked good out there, some people look so overstrained.

Hooper was our moral support and alpha male for the day blazing it like the well rounded athlete he is, compared to us fish out of water cyclists. Matt Aufricht was all smiles this morning and cheered us on, and apparently there were Cindy Koo sightings, but not by me... maybe I was to waterlogged to see straight.


That's the outside view, and a good intro to the sport. Fun time, nice doing it with friends, good organization (maybe too organized in a few ways for my tastes, but it seems necessary I admit), pretty straight and narrow meal after (tri people don't do fat content apparently). Some took it very seriously, but some were conversational yet competitive. Nice day, and at least the early start meant most of it was done before it heated up too much.

The inside Erik view was a little different. Last Friday, I was so tired from my week that I slept from just after 6pm to 9am Saturday. I really wish I could have done the same last night. Instead we retired at near 11, and were up just after 5. Somehow when I signed up for the race, I was oblivious to the morning start requirements. To be honest, I wouldn't want to do that again. My life is under rested as it is. My athletic life this year is a total joke, working excessively before and after every race, inability to prep, blah blah. I love sports but this is making me love it less having everything by default be an "odds stacked against you" suffer fest. I like the "odds with me" suffer fests. When I'm prepared. When I'm not beaten down. I haven't even done a single weekday bike ride this year other than commuting - my "training" is either 20 mins a day crap or stage races. Whatever, I'll work on it, it's my life afterall. This stuff just speeds up the timeline for the "solution".

Whether today was a bike race, or something new like a tri, I knew it was gonna be slower and hurt. I thought I started near the back, and waited for people to go, but once we were swimming, more people were behind me than I could figure out. To avoid the logjam I just moved over to the side.

The wetsuit was pleasant, I loved lake swimming. That was my favourite part, although probably toughest. But somehow my belly got full of air and miscellaneous water "inhaled" which didn't feel good. Made me slow and uncomfortable relative to the pool thing the other day. Anyway, it's of course the kind of back of pack performance I'd expect considering the lack of preparation.

Bike was nice, other than my saddle "fix" to get the stripped tilt adjustment on the seatpost didn't work, so I had tilty saddle. The belly full stuff didn't seem to alleviate on the bike.

The run was fun, I just did some slow plod pace. Hilly, my legs will be sore.

I have to drive back, maybe do some packing, and join Tori for one of her going away parties... as long as I can stay awake.


1 comment:

  1. Solid first tri Erik. Scary to think what you might be capable of if you didn't work 80+ hours in the week leading up to the race... Or if you went for more than one training swim :)
    Good to have you out there dude.

    ReplyDelete