Saturday 13 June 2009

First ride in a week

Devin and I rode up Moosepackers and down Race of Spades today, interesting experience.

I'm slow and tired still, this was the first wakeup after hammering to the beach at Sagres then doing absolutely nothing for a week, other than a 20 minute commute home yesterday.  I felt like a tractor being started up after winter - could ride all day, but only at a slow pace.  Legs are fine and such, I'll just spin it out lightly for a few more days and rest, nothing to worry about.

Devin was slow too, but that had more to do with the Stanley Cup playoffs than anything else.  For the record, I was slower.  Is stage racing worse for you than beer?  The sample size is small, but that may be the conclusion from today.

There were a lot of people out riding, which is always great to see.  I was surprised at the number of groups of middle aged women riding together... maybe I shouldn't be, but it still strikes me as something rare to see mud covered 35 year olds with pigtails tackling technical trails together.  No complaints on that front regardless.

Race of Spades is always fun.  I like riding downhill fast, and the trees give you the stormtrooper on their speedbikes feeling.  I like the skinnies, although my mojo was off a little today.  And I like the variety of jump sizes, some of which make sense for a 4" travel bike with Stans Olympic rims.

All in we rode 90 minutes, which brings my our ride/drive ratio dangerously close to a race weekend.  If any other BC Bike Race teams saw us out there, they're now safely assuming we'll have a hard time making the time cutoffs!

1 comment:

  1. glad you you are back on the bike but i would recommend changing your route to include pneuma... the groundwork is done past race of spades.

    ReplyDelete