Tuesday 30 June 2009

BC Bike Race Day 3 - better luck next time

We started fast on some beautiful twisty singletrack, with more to follow, then more.  Big gravel climb worked me like a dog, Devin helped me move along even while blowing up.  Short version was that a) I was hurting, and b) I guess the only thing that matters at this point is giving it what you've got.  We got into some awesome downhill single track, and that's where it went downhill.  Devin and I got apart, and though within voice contact, it wasn't good enough to hear the flat he had and tried to fix.  He got that going then took a wrong turn down the road, but that shouldn't have happened because we should have been right together - my bad.  Unfortunately down the road his Stan's sealant didn't seal the sidewall hole.  Tube time.

I stopped a ways up, then backtracked to another intersection.  At this intersection two things happened - I saw how many people were making the wrong turn and cutting off 10-15 minutes of the course.  Sweet time bonus for them.  I told the first group that and a guy said "whatever".  Nice.

Second thing over race radio was 10-2 (Devin) down the gravel road.  I was told he was riding back up and for me to stay put.  Made sense.

After a while, that changed to "he's at the dam, you go ahead and ride down there".  That doesn't exactly make sense, but I didn't spend much time thinking about it now.  That went fine, until I came up behind a rider on the trail on a single track section.  He heard me, asked if I wanted to pass, and I said sure, but no rush, since I'm kinda wandering about without Devin.  He said sure, when the trail widened, he'd make a little space to let me by - perfect.  He pulls right, says go for it, and when I pulled left, 18" stump right there.  Bike stopped really fast, Bakke ejects at whatever relatively quick singletrack riding speed is.  Lots of dust and dirty and a little sore in the back, but no scrapes.  He did the "whoa dude you ok?" thing so I assume he didn't try to kill me and probably didn't see it.  Lucky.

So when I got down to the dam, nobody thought he was there or even heard he was "supposed" to be there, and said that I should go on.  So I muddled onward, feeling like I was dazed and confused from the crash and lack of partner.

Eventually Devin caught me on some nondescript gravel road where I was pulling two guys along.  We exchanged stories for a bit and got down to business.  I was hurting but onward we went.  The last few kilometers were momentum sucking hard singletrack with tight turns and roots.  Perfect.  Turns the effort into a whole body workout and substitutes pure aerobic and legs for more emphasis on total body balance and momentum... Stuff I love.  Devin had to ride conservative as his tire had slightly less pressure than preferred for a tube.

Somehow miraculously we apparently didn't lose too much time, I don't understand how with all the free 12 mins from the people who missed the one area, plus the 25mins likely of lost and stopped and asking for help, we still ended up 14th.

Pat and Geoff had a great day even with Pat ripping off his derailleur, but fortunately close to the end.

Shawn and Craig had their best day yet.

The Bee was third again, and despite the gaping hole in her leg (small but deep hole) she says her riding is improving every day - which is what this race does and is what counts most.  This is a crash course in single track excellence.

No comments:

Post a Comment