Sunday 12 April 2009

Easter Sunday

This morning I slept in, stumbled around the house in a generally sub par state of function, then met Shawn at 10:30 for an "any pace will do" ride from Cadence. After a little warmup leaving the city, I actually felt really good, which was nice to have the body delivering on output the third day into a riding block.

We fought west into the headwinds, which really meant I tucked into Shawn's wake and tried to hold on. On the uphill, into the gale force wind sections in a perfect draft, I was for minutes at 350-450 watts, which means Shawn was putting the power down today on the front much higher than that. It was fun riding. It was good to see the [few] MEC clad weekend warriors out being clobbered by the wind, we were reeling them in quickly today with our 2 man paceline.

Finding an open coffee shop in Cochrane was challenging; we settled into a nice place after looping through a few parking lots. I decided to go with caffeine, while Shawn went without. Yin and yang maybe. We agreed to disagree on most everything we talked about, but not in a contentious way... sort of reminds me of that old comic strip called the Lockhorns. Simon the Kiwi, the one man torture machine patrolling the roads on his mountain bike, spotted us at coffee. I'm glad he wasn't dressed in his riding kit as I didn't have any excuses prepared about how I was getting picked up in Cochrane and couldn't join him for some riding throw down for the next few hours ; )

To complete the reverse Cabin Jam loop, we went south on 22 and back on airport road, the former being a good chunk of work into the head/crosswind. I did 60 seconds of pulling interspersed over the 20 minute trip just to freshen Boonen, er I mean Bunnin up for the other 19 minutes. Maybe he thought he was racing on the other side of the Atlantic today in Paris Roubaix like is nearly homonym counterpart.

Obviously the head wind efforts took a toll, as our sprint up the backside of the airport road climb had us neck and neck compared to the 50m back I usually find myself when riding with Bunnin. Maybe it was the caffeine thing too ; )

But that was it, the rest of the sprints were one man contests, and we didn't work overly hard on the rest of the way home with the big winds behind us.

All in, another great day to cap off a pretty big weekend - something like 420km all in. I was actually pretty surprised at how "ok" I felt today instead of feeling like a sack of concrete. Guess that's the fitness building.

1 comment:

  1. did Simon get his road bike yet?. ha ha.... cat 5. sure.

    ReplyDelete