Tuesday 11 March 2008

Monday in NY

I managed to wake up a little earlier, and went for breakfast at a place that had the little maroon tarp entrance outside, typical NY... thought I might see Seinfeld and crew inside. Had some greasy eggs and a bagel. The lady in a fur coat next to me said my potatoes need some ketchup and passed over the Heinz, not exactly what I pictured she'd say.

Tony Hawk was featured in the entreprenuer section of USA Today. He's 40ish now, has a pretty big business going, has made millions, and still skates every day. The headquarter office warehouse had to have the roof raised 10 feet to make room for the air he'd pull on the halfpipe. The article said that among US teenagers, his name is more recognizable than Michael Jordan, and anyone in baseball or football too. His quote at the end was "all I want to be remembered as is a skater". I've always been a fan.

After this I watched a little morning TV that was basically an Idol type show where dance troupes from around the country attempted to do Michael Jackson justice by doing Thriller video remakes. Entertaining to say the least, including side bits where they show hours of moonwalk practice. What it really shows is that MJ is nearly untouchable.

Once some show on MTV about an Italian guy looking for amore in America with 15 American girls came on (That's Amore!), I got dressed for riding. Total trash. As I was walking out the door they were wrestling in a vat of spaghetti.

I crossed the GW Bridge and was doing my intervals along the road. They were obviously harder today, but were coming along fine none the less. As I fatigued I visited the ocean/earth/atmoshphere science campus of Columbia University, Tallman Mountain state park, and the town of Piermont where I had a delicious mocha. Piermont has a creek running through it and is quaint. The entire town looks like Norm Abrhams of This Old House went door to door for the last 30 years plying his trade. I stopped at a fairly large bike shop and asked what the riding was like north of town and if I could cross at the next bridge. Next bridge with bike crossing was 20 miles further, which during the summer might have been do-able. I wasn't willing to be out that long when it's just a degree or two above zero. I rode north a bit to take in the scenery, then re-traced my route home. The mocha had me fired up again and I was pushing good Watts until the GW bridge. All in it was another 4 hours, with 17 efforts at or above the 400W range. I'd say 10 were 45 seconds to a minute, 4 were 1-2 minutes (2 min at 421W was longest), and the rest were 35 seconds or so. Legs are tired.

Tonight I stopped by a bakery/deli for a bean salad, then went for sushi. Both have been better recovery foods for me in the past than Mexican, so we'll see how I feel tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment