Monday 11 June 2007

Pigeon Lake Road Race

I don't know if my carpooling mates could tell on the drive up, but I had serious concerns of being left completely in the dust on this one. A one hour crit, or even a 1.75 hour mountain bike race can lend itself to "winging it", but a 140k road race, my first in Cat 2, didn't leave me feeling like that was a sensible option.

It was a sane race, and I managed to hang in. Other than a wheel that's a little worse for the experience, everything held up, my legs included. I contributed two 7.5 minute pulls when the pace slowed, but they weren't particularly aggressive pulls. At the end of the day, I had legs left for a 50th percentile finish. Fine by me, all things considered.

Had a nice little community hall picnic after, the grannies up there do such a heartfelt job with their volunteer roles.

Deadgoats did well and/or seemed to have plenty of fun in their respective categories. Dallas won Cat 3, Mical won the womens, Devin finished 5 spots ahead of me even after "wasting" energy chasing down some breaks. Chris McNeil had an impressive race to finish 2nd on a 40k break that caught the lead breakaway group.

No comments:

Post a Comment