Tuesday 12 June 2007

Down for the Count


I started feeling quite a bit worse during the day yesterday, seems that enough open skin will expose you to infection... duhh. The part that doesn't show up like anything on the picture above (mid shin) is all bright pink and infected, the part down by my ankle bone is all swollen and pink. The deepest cut on my knee seems to be healing best, and the part on my hip is mostly not a problem as it seems like the impact ripped the nerves, so I thankfully have no feeling in that area. After speaking with David La Rocque, a coworker/buddy, who cut his leg up in Fernie last year, did the self treatment, then carried around an IV drip antibiotic for a few weeks to stave off a nasty infection, I figured I'd better err on the side of precaution. The fact that my throat was sore and my glands were swollen was the other obvious hint.


After 2.5 hours at the walk in clinic yesterday, I was up for my "treatment". The funny old doctor (Irish sounding), prescribed two things. First, a nurse would do the proper bandaging and cleaning. This was carried out by a nurse who lived next door to Terry Hook, who was my neigbour growing up in Hawkwood, and who did TransRockies last year too. Small world. Then to really "fix me up", he prescribed some sort of horsepill sized antibiotic.


After the long wait, I stopped by the drug store, then headed by mom and dad's for some dinner... as I was warned more than twice that taking the antibiotics on an empty stomach isn't pleasant. I was already feeling a bit tired, and went home to sleep.


The pills apparently incited warfare within, as I'm really tired and still don't feel too hot. Slept for 15 hours straight, other than a brief period where I attempted to get ready for work, but ended up just emailing in for my second sick day since starting in 2000. Funny thing is, I'm still tired. Thought about going for a walk this afternoon, but moving my leg just moves the skin around. Probably sitting on the patio will be the plan!

5 comments:

  1. awesome pic man! Is that wide angle or just a zoom close up?.

    After my 'bad' road rash, somebody says, "how sick are you to stop and take pictures?".
    "uhh, it's to show you how tough I am and that I dind't cry".

    ReplyDelete
  2. My little camera does wide angle... and that's about 2 hours later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the picture doesn't do it justice or tell the whole story. this is the first time i've seen you:
    - bruise
    - sleep that much
    - take a sick day
    that's some serious stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  4. sweet leg. i hope you shaved before going down!?!

    hope it you can be out riding soon.

    ReplyDelete