Monday 11 June 2007

Devon Dust Up


For someone who hadn't been riding for weeks in any sort of meaningful amount, the race didn't go all that bad. Having said that, the Friday night spin after work for an hour tired me out. Easy 1 hour spins aren't supposed to tire out trained bodies, hence I must be pretty untrained. Going out for the Saturday "pre ride spin" with Geoff and Mckee didn't help, it was 95k of pretty solid tempo, despite my continual willingness to drop off the back to keep the pace under (my) threshold a bit.



The Devon course was quite nice, there's always something "less than fun" but overall I quite liked it. Funny enough, despite being under trained and under rested, I hole shotted as I was clipped in right off the start. Fun!



Everything went fine for the first three laps, and I was thinking the chance of making it to the finish before my legs imploded was a pretty decent chance for a while, but that turned out not to be the case. Hit the wall part way through lap 4 and slowed down, legs were feeling crampy. Crashed on the final downhill, removed a little skin, and hobbled to end. The last incline was a hike a bike for me, and my cramping legs made it a Frankenstein like affair. Nearly toppled over.



Felt burnt out after - 3 days of riding was more than I'd done in quite some time.

2 comments:

  1. The person who is first off the start line and into the first turn has the "hole shot".

    Applicable to racing in general.

    ReplyDelete