Monday 15 January 2007

Mas Espanol

My left brain aches. I know that the brain doesn't have sensory nerves per se, hence the ability to televise open brain surgery with only local anaesthetic, but yet I feel some sort of brain sensation.

It has something to do with iPod Spanish to and from work on the train, plus evening Spanish class, plus the odd attempt at recalling a Spanish word during the day.

Last time I experienced a similar sensation was when I began to use PowerCranks. I don't really associate it with learning, not yet anyway. I'd articulate it more as a sustained effort that's different from ways you're used to doing something. Maybe it's a prepatory phase to learning, such as "get this part of the brain ready to lay down some new tracks". If my brain was a farm, the soil has been turned by plow and disrupted, but no seeds have been planted yet. I recall the sensation lasting for about 10 PowerCranks rides. I'd come home with my primary cycling muscles unfatigued, a few "new" muscles very fatigued, and this dull cranial ache.

It's not an acute feeling. It's kind of like when you floss your teeth for the first time after being bad and skipping out for a while... and a couple of hours later your gums experience a sensation - not a pain, not even an ache, more of a "something happened here, and we're now working on the solution, and we'll keep you on really low level alert for the next little while here". It's a stretch to call it a dull ache.

That's a lot of words for a half hearted attempt at articulating something that I still feel has eluded articulation...

No comments:

Post a Comment