Saturday 13 January 2007

Big Metabolism Bliss

I relaxed on Friday, rebuilding from my midweek workouts so that I'd have some energy for the weekend. It was -9C at my house this morning, so after breakfast I layered up, threw two cans of Boost and a flask of gel in my pockets, took one waterbottle in my jersey to keep it from freezing, and headed out the door with the intent of returning when I was cold or tired.

I didn't feel too bad heading west through the neighbourhoods, so I decided to head out the TransCanada for a couple of km then branch off on the cabin jam route.

When all was said and done and I rolled into my driveway, it was 4 hours of riding at an aerobic pace. Never felt tired, legs were fine. One foot got a little cold, but it was just in time for a stop at Cochrane Coffee Traders anyway where I bumped into a lady who was studying some Spanish books. On the way home I saw two cars spin out on the roads. One guy was kind enough to honk when he thought he was coming straight for me.

Coming through the city, I see people running from their houses to their cars, and shuddering as they walk down the street. Most of them give me funny looks, especially when I brake stand at lights, and people have their car heaters blasting, and feel their car tires slipping everywhere, but here's a guy in trim clothes that can balance on this slippery stuff??

I wasn't cold. Part of it is pacing, I'd ease up when I was sweating too much. But the other part of it is that my metabolism is firing on all cylinders these days. I love the feeling, it's what makes me who I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment