Saturday 27 January 2007

Big, Bright Apple



Who wants super slick office space? Each time I arrive in New York, I find the scale and image of the city mindboggling. During the last 30 minutes of approach, it's nothing but lights and urban sprawl, with the Empire State building in view. From the time we landed to when we reached our gate, we passed 21 other planes that were in motion coming or going. I'd be surprised if there were ever any more than 4 in motion at a time in Calgary... plus we landed at just one of the three airports serving the metropolitan area.

Our cabbie (actually black car service, not a cab) was a Nigerian fellow. He asked if we were from Cagary right off the bat. I don't know if he watched arrivals or saw luggage tags (he was waiting outside), but he said he could tell because we were easy going. He knew Calgary had near zero unemployment, a booming economy due to oil, and that "everyone seemed to be entrepreneurial and owned their own business". No doubt the subset of travellers he saw was CEO's on marketing roadshows to NY institutional investors. A half hour ride into Manhattan probably passed 2x the population of Alberta. Economies of scale are nice - glad we got three travellers into our car downtown for the $120 trip.

We're staying at the Hyatt Grand Central, which is right at Grand Central station. So while I sleep 28 floors up (sir, the first 5 elevator banks serve your floor... like all I was thinking is how many elevators are there?), there's more people moving in the subway system each hour 5 stories underground than those who use Calgary's c-train in a day. The decor is modern and eclectic. Lots of fountains, minimalist furniture and modern art, grass/bamboo/stone arrangements, etc. New York is so image oriented. Far cry from the Powder Springs in in Revelstoke, BC.

We walked for a few blocks to stretch out the legs, checked out the ever impressive Grand Central, then the FirstEnergy ladies whom I'm with spotted a restaurant overlooking a park attached to the New York public library (which again is probably the size of all Calgary's library's combined).

Dinner was typically fantastic. It seems poor food is few and far between here, I suspect that with 20,000 restaurants in Manhattan that your doors close quick if you can't make the grade.

I drank my first bottle of Tazmanian wine, after bland airline crap everything with flavour sure hit the spot. On the way home we passed the above pictured office entrance. I have no idea what the decor inside is like, but I'm sure it's interesting taking vacations if you work there, cause basically everything on earth is going to seem quaint and old fashioned compared to that motif greeting you every morning.

The girls have aggresive plans to tour the city tomorrow, I'll have breakfast with them then do my own thing.

If I lived an unlimited lifestyle it sure would be nice to spend a week or two a year here. Funny that just a week ago we were the only 12 guys in a bar in a quiet mountain town, amused with a punching machine. Not quite as urbane and cultured as here... I love savouring the contrast. Mild weather, would be great for riding. If I were here for full day Saturday and Sunday I would have brought the bike!

1 comment:

  1. You stayed at the Powder in Revy?. Aw man, you went for the FULL experience didn't you!. I love that town. You gotta try the mtn bike action there!
    Thing is, if I went to New York, the first place I'd go would be a stripper bar, and they'd probly have a punching machine. HAHA!

    ReplyDelete