Tuesday 3 July 2012

BC Bike Race Day 3 - Powell River

Well, back to bike riding. I'd been hoping that one of these days the recovery machine catches up with the wrecking crew. I know the body is working since I feel stubble on my face, but it's funny that I haven't seen myself in a mirror in days. Odd how much of a focus that is for people, even at the best of times I barely actually look at myself in the mirror.

Anyway, the nap plus sleep helped. Then this morning I milked the sleep again and just got ready fast. Couldn't put shoes on as my back was frozen, that makes one feel like I should have a cane not a bike; couldn't move my arms super good on the stuff sack exercise cause shoulders sore. Sheesh. Dropped by my pre-scoped out secret washroom to blow dry armwarmers a bit, but didn't end up needing them. 5 min breakfast and on then jumped on the bus. Another full nap on the bus, then another nap on the ferry. I actually like the commutes. There's not a lot of times in life I can't do a single thing other than lounge.

Did a little warmup, then off in the sun for a change! Wow. Sun. Pushed hard on the hills off the start and stayed where I thought was decent. Wendy and the Handfords there as my reference markers. I felt fine. Started on the fast logging road descent with the group. Then went through one of the big drainage dips at whatever super fast speed we're going, and next thing I know, a guy's back is against my left leg and he's looking up at me in shock/disbelief as I look down. What the?! He wipes pretty bad and I see it through the same speed action cam, and I go down too. But I get up unscathed, really no idea how that happened considering the speed. What is going on this year, seriously 3 days in a row totally random and different circumstance? Anyway, last time I saw Wendy and the Handfords. Dick around with my derailleur hanger as I went down on that side and shifting was junk for a bit, people flying by. I'm used to this now.

Start pushing along, and make up a few spots, but it's muddy and not super easy to pass. Get to a road and do a few more spots. Having fun. Then weirdness. So I'm in some line, and a piece of dirt from some guys wheel goes in my mouth, and I cough it out. But like a stick or a rock goes back in the back of my nasal cavity like when you eat something wrong and cough. So it's just feeling awful for hours. It felt like I had a sliver on my dangly thing at the back of my mouth.

Seemed to have just that extra oomph on the wet roots and rocks to just stay that good rolling, just ahead of it pace instead of the no flow pace. Just keep picking up the knees all day, keeping the spin. Eating is working well, as long as I don't mind mud mixed in. But all the food is in my shorts cause I can't reach either my left or right jersey back pockets without a major production. Whatever works.

So we come into aid 2, and I get some chain lube and a snack, and look up the big gravel climb, and see 7 people. And my mind just knows I'm going to ride right past all 7, look around the corner, and ride past more. It's just all working. It feels fun. This is the positive experience bike racing is supposed to be; at least partially. Before we dip into the singletrack I have some snacks to refuel from the effort, and a guy is behind me as we go into the timed section. When we come out, I've gapped him. Wasn't blazing, just trying to roll smart. I can ride downhill at least a bit! Wow, that hasn't happened yet. Big tires on the Flash are good. I like that bike, it'd be great for lots of stuff. BCBR is just at the far end of the spectrum and it's being pushed more than what it's really intended for.

Saw a sasquatch again in the woods. He's funny. I like that touch.

Would be nice to just have a clean day. Felt fine overall, I'm not super counting spots, but I think more or less got back to where I started by the riders I saw around at the end. Little things like a high speed freak wipeout, derailleur hanger bend, and something in my mouth don't count when pushing pedals feels good.

Ferry got going late today, so race was late, then lines for everything. People stress instead of problem solving. I showered first and ignored my bike. Then snacked, then massaged, then ate. Heard last call for bikes... and saw the two bike was lineups were like 50 people deep. Truck was going on ferry tonight. I asked if they take dirty bikes. Yup. I asked if they had a beer fund for the bike transport gang. Yup. I asked if they solve problems. Yup. In theory bike is going to be hosed down and chain oiled in morning for a small contribution. I have his name, he has my currency. Taking 35 minute line out of the system helps a lot. Waiting for my massage time is entertaining. Some people stress. Some don't. Like come up all muddy with 10 minutes before their time and "have to go to their hotel first, can they move their time?". Booked solid for everyone - there's like 500 riders. But even a 10 year old can tell them what to do - Gabby just says there's a creek behind the tents, the ocean, or a hose setup for waterbottles and just get clean enough then wrap a towel around you. 9 out of 10 do, 1 out of 10 has some sort of a meltdown based on illogical self imposed constraints.

Cory Wallace won today's stage which is awesome. I'm happy for him.

I'm dreaming a little of the Scalpel or the old Flux when it had a buttery Marzocchi on it... if only it had a bit more wheelbase.

No comments:

Post a Comment