Sunday 15 February 2009

KERN ski weekend

For the last two years, I hadn't made it out to the KERN ski weekend, but I'm glad I did this year. It was really the only opportunity in a blitz of a workweek to get out for some relaxing downtime.

The drive out Friday was poor, heavy snow made the roads slippery and made visibility poor. We had a fun group dinner at Coyotes in Banff, then crashed at the Post hotel in Lake Louise. Tori and I were asleep  within minutes of arriving.

We skied Saturday - I did alpine and Tori telemarked. The snow was  hard, not many of the runs were open, attendance seemed lackluster,  and two adult tickets cost as much as our old student season passes at  Sunshine. After skiing, I went for a 90 minute ride - several km down the 1A, then back up to the Skoki lodge parking lot, over to the ski  area base, then down to the hotel.

Dinner was fun - great appetizers and fun company in the private  room. Full and tiring day overall.

Sunday the plan was to do a nature walk at Johnson Canyon with guides. It sounded fairly tame (2.7 km shouldn't take 2.5 hours), so I biked there to burn some energy ahead of time. Nice morning for a  ride, not too cool, except that I forgot to dry my gloves from the  prior day.

No comments:

Post a Comment