Sunday 26 November 2006

Investment Banker on a Bike




Since graduating university (and even slightly before), I've been employed as an investment banker. At first, it was just that - I had found an investment banking job.

6 years in, at the Vice President level, I can say that the transformation has been somewhat fulfilled. Now I am an investment banker; investment banking has permeated all aspects of my life. I'm relatively impatient at reaching conclusions, I scowl upon ineptitude, I process most of what life presents me through a fairly analytical set of processes, and my cash burn rate has steadily increased. These are just a few of the numerous implications, but the one I'll elaborate on is a greater appreciation for "time is money". The opposite of which is "money is time". So if I want to buy myself more recreation time, I spend a few dollars to open up times for recreation which I didn't possibly consider.

Investment Banking, in my capacity, involves providing corporations with basically two products: raising of equity financing (selling shares from treasury) and related input on capital structure decisions, and merger and acquisition advice (which again incorporates the ability to raise equity around such proposed M&A activity).

For reasons I've tried to communicate (not justify) to friends and family for many years, these two activities often are performed outside of what most people consider "a normal workweek". For the most part, this doesn't bother me too much, although it is a hindrance to cycling performance.

Given that the hours I have outside the office are precious and few, coupled with the fact that the hours I do have outside the office aren't usually my choice, I've created some changes in my perception of recreation time.

My time outside the office may be cold, wet, hot, windy or often times dark. It may be in other cities, accompanied by any of the above conditions. And on top of that, I don't want to show up to races or group rides droning on about how much my riding time or ability to train and therefore my expected performance all suck. Does it suck not having control? Occasionally, but that's my choice. I don't like listening to people who complain about things that suck that are entirely within their control to change (clients??). So I generally try to refrain. If you're one of my fellow riders and catch me doing so, feel free to reference my stated opinion as above to a) shut me up, and b) remind me I'm supposed to be more positive.

Erik's Investment Banking Career Inspired Bicycling Philosophy*

Thesis:
Do not let weather, season, or time of day affect your cycling schedule.

Observation phase:
Look outside and determine the riding situation you're faced with. You'll easily percieve the unique challenges that present themself, and likely discover more while you're out riding. Prepare to the best of your ability, then head out for your ride without asking questions or whining. Undoubtedly, new challenges will arise. Make mental note of them. This is usually quite easy, ie. "my toes are frozen and I want to cry when I get home and the blood flow returns while I'm in the hot shower."

Adaptation phase:
Think about how to keep your feet warmer. Maybe rely on proverbs, and wear a toque? Consider more breathable socks? How about some heavier or more breathable shoe covers? Maybe shoes designed for cool weather riding? If all else fails, try additional heat sources.

Methodology:
Drop by Mountain Equipment Co-op or your local bike shop. Cash cost of items to keep you cycling is known to be irrelevant once you figure in health and social benefits, so bring lots of moolah. You will find available for your consumption such things as: rain jackets, rain booties, rain helmet covers, and fenders. You will also find warm gloves, toques, bala-clavas, shoes, tights, jersys, and little chemical or combustion based warming devices. Further available are lights, snowtires, and other useful hardgoods, such as chocolate bars, and various models of the Leatherman, perfect for self amputation of frozen toes.

Really that's about it, just keep repeating the cycle. What good is a $5,000 bike when it can only be ridden for a quarter of the year, when an extra $1,000 will let you ride it all year?

*Conveniently applicable to other careers and hobbies.

Just for confirmation, I don't really enjoy being cold, wet, or any in any other stage of discomfort more than anyone else. I don't ride much when I'm not comfortable. In the winter I ride in town, so I can always duck into a coffee shop or stop by a friend's place. Tim Horton knew Canada can be chilly at times, so he began serving hot beverages that are Always Fresh. You haven't lived until you've sat down for chili in a bread bowl when your core temperature was only 35C, and experienced the sheer pleasure that food warming your core can provide. I don't want to freeze when I'm out. But once I'm out, I often find I'm not really that uncomfortable. Never in history have we had so many wonder textiles and products available to us to aide the enjoyment of the outdoors. Without a hint of exaggeration, I'll point out that the socks I was wearing yesterday while riding in -20C had three patents. Once I saw that label, I knew I had to have them. If you recall tobogganing when you were 7 years old and come home with cold feet, it's cause you were probably wearing P-O-S cotton socks, not the latest NASA designed triple patented pair. We live in a rich society, and wherever a perceived or real problem exists, someone has tried to address it with science. Soft windproof garments are the latest push in the last year or two, and they're ridiculously practical.

And yes, although "all bike, all the time" has been known to be a fixture of my lexicon, other activities should be included wherever possible. It's just that when sharing one car with Tori, biking is still my second best mode alternate mode of transportation (truthfully, it's the Best Mode of Transportation Know to Human Kind, but we are talking specifically about Canadian winter here). Sure beats the petrie dish we call public transit. Bike clothes, ski clothes, XC ski clothes, hiking clothes, all overlap enough to be useful in many situations.

I've heard in the last 3 days how much the cold sucks from people on the train, my barber, my neighbour, my co-workers, etc. This is Canada, and it's inevitably going to get cold. You've just had 6 months to hit the rummage sales to prepare for it. Complaining about the cold is for the inferior, such as people from Toronto or California.

Make the best of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment