Sunday 22 April 2012

Prairie Roubaix

Despite waking up tired this morning, Shawn's coffee got me going. Add to that the double Bunnin carpool (thanks for being awesome early in the morning Andrea) and I was feeling pretty happy. Super sunny, super beauty day.  Lots of racers out, huge deadgoat turnout too.

A group started with 40 (sounds like 40 in each of A/B/C which is great).

First lap the legs got tested on the gravel - Shawn and 2 others hit the gas and stretched out the group. Devin, Craig and I caught on in the follow group, then by top of the paved climb a few km out the group was two dozen of the original 40.  Craig and Devin did some headwind pulling leading up to the gravel...

...then we came fast into the gravel on second time around, front three took off again. I was able to be part of the next 3 chasers, so was feeling good on the gravel. That worked out great, until I ended up at the back of the three for a turn, the first guy got speed wobbles and panicked and hit the brakes, second guy hit the ground hard and broke his collar bone. I was 6" behind, half rode over him, ditched my bike, tried really hard to not step on his face, then met the gravel myself.  He's in the ambulance, not me (they were nice enough to swab my knee with some alcohol or whatever).

Couple groups went by, then group of 2 chasers came by like 2 minutes down and yelled for us to get out of the way, on a 40' wide gravel road, with a guy nursing a broken collar bone, when they had line of site to us by 500m and let's not forget were 2 min down. All class.

Anyway, I have a few things to fix, at least not bones. Scott Manktelow of RMCC has a little more healing to do.  Pretty good overall for hitting the dirt going that fast - not sure how fast, SRM not working/downloading now either, but it was a fast part of the course with a tailwind, I'd say 45km/h not a bad guess.  Tough way to start a season.

Next lap was down to 15 in A, 4th lap Craig flatted out at start finish. Last lap had two riders come in for a fast finish, with a guy named Bunnin in for the win.  Devin, Tim, Craig, Kyle, Geoff, Pat, all had a solid races.

Patio season is now officially opening, time to relax.

1 comment:

  1. Ouch... Glad to hear you survived the crash without suffering too much damage. Going down at 45kph is not fun.

    ReplyDelete