Tuesday 9 August 2011

TransRockies Day 3

Super climbing intervals today, all steep and long. No real option other than to expend energy in the heat, as most of them are steep enough for granny, then high sustained effort, just to ride them. About as hard a course as you can have for that number of kilometers. Fun course though, real mountain biking.

I paced off Trish on the second climb, then she let me by for the descent. Somewhere in there I could see either Pat or Devin or Geoff's kit at the top of a climb but never got close after that. Felt decent, then caught up to Jon Gould, who eventually crushed me as I faded. Stopped into the aid station when we were near it when the course crossed itself for bottle refills, I wouldn't have made it had I waited for the official pass through it. Worked through some weakness in the shade in the woods and just tried to keep moving.

Felt good on Verboten descent as I stuffed my face right before, which pretty much solved my energy for the rest of the day. Long climb up from cp2 was hard, then the climb up the logging grade to Island Lake was killer, I haven't sweated so much since La Ruta.

Didn't cramp which was my big worry for the day, if one did it'd be game over as the hills were so steep that soft pedalling wasn't an option.

Hooper had a few mechanicals, John and Eric finished strong, as did all the deadgoats. Really enjoyed the convenience of the three days in Fernie and the quality of the trails. Breakfasts were adequate but not spectacular, dinners were good, course was great and weather cooperated. Can't go wrong with that.

1 comment:

  1. Super fun three days of racing... I'm looking forward to the 2012 version!

    ReplyDelete