Sunday 7 August 2011

TransRockies day 1

Hooper and I had a good pre-ride yesterday, I actually felt pretty good. About 1:20 of mixed trail conditions, stuff we'll ride on day 3. BP's provided the dinner fuel. Cindy and little Gabby came for a hot tub. All good. Didn't sleep super well, it was warmer than my air conditioned house, and my caffeine and sugar taper from the workweek left me with a headache through the night and up to race start.

We went to Smitty's for breakfast - they were open only at 7 rather than 6:30 which turned out ok. Hooper's waffles with an indulgent amount of whipped cream and strawberries made my short stack of pancakes and a scrambled egg look like trucker fare.

Napped a bit more upon return to the condo. Spun down to start line, said some hello's, then called up to start.

Rubber hits the road so to speak, and I remember that having another half hour for breakfast to settle would be nice when the day is a time trial and the profile starts with a massive climb. First 10 minutes everything hurts, burns, feels unathletic and gross. Then I'm sort of back to tolerating intensity. Ryan Draper passed me fairly quick - then Chris was my 2 minute back guy.

I want Chris to have a great time here... But I also don't want him to hand me my ass, because it'll raise too many philosophical questions about work/life balance, jobs, etc. You know how it is. So I'm climbing away, and on a switchback I look down and clearly he's less than 2 min behind if I can see him from a switchback - gaining big on the climb. No surprise, as the last time I checked, the BMI index ranked him as near "ethereal".

Once a race like this has started, you can't rewind and do more training intervals, improve your diet, etc. What you can do is eat and drink well, use less brakes, and let brain turn to drill sergeant and don't let those legs ever miss pushing a pedal stroke no matter how much they, or your innards, are begging for respite.

We ground away, and I was repeatedly surprised that yes, this was my easiest gear. Nearing the top I dug in as Chris was 15 seconds back cresting the hill, but he never new our relative position as looking up them is way harder than down. I was determined to put back at least the two minutes on the remainder of the course.

Turns out the descent just felt awesome today. I played tag with one guy who left me on the climb after CP1, but rode the rest solo. Just rolled, momentum'd and had a blast on the trails. So fun not having the torrential rains of last year.

I did end up putting back the two minutes, results will calculate whatever it actually was.

Mical started way behind me but finished very near, so she had a great day. Devin and Geoff same, so had a fast day. Craig and Pat too. I have no idea on times though.

Massage, river leg dunk, and relax for tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. You pulled back your 2 mins plus a whole lot more! Today was fun, I'll try my hardest to push you up the big climb tomorrow since there is no chance in hell I'll be able to stay with you on the descent!

    PS - the waffles were glorious...

    ReplyDelete