Saturday 11 June 2011

Iron Maiden XC, Canmore

I'm pumped, first ABA cross country race for me, plus a double header if my body holds out.

Started with comedy of errors. Shawn, Devin and I had a pre-planned schedule set up to carpool out to the Iron Maiden XC in Canmore, so during the morning deluge I dropped my car at Shawn's in exchange for the S-10 so I could do an exchange on some patio furniture at BBQ's Galore. Ended up pushing back the schedule a bit based on BBQ Galore's speed, construction traffic on Crowchild, and buying a few more things.

Shawn then wanted to hurry. We packed up in the rain, then went to Devin's. Devin advised that under no circumstance should we go up 17th due to construction delays. After debate, Shawn overruled and suggested we do 17th. I stated that I felt I should be indemnified for any further blame on timing. It turned out to be awful delays. Half way through a kilometre of stop and go, Shawn realized he forgot his helmet/glasses/gloves. Backtrack. Got to Devin's over an hour late and he made a sandwich so we didn't have to stop. So funny.

Got to bike race pretty late for warmup. Shawn's got the nerve issue again, I'm feeling challenged, Devin's neck is the issue. We're a beaten up group.

Course was muddy as can be. Shawn hammered home a 4th, Devin did a 7th, and I finished last but finished. Last didn't make me feel bad - intensity after lacking it felt great, I had no issues on any of the technical which felt great, achilles didn't act up (we'll see the real result when I wake up), and derrier issue wasn't great but I guess survivable.

I remember how to ride technical, it all went well. Loved it actually. Slipping in the mud, the Devonian drop with all the funny people cheering, the eye dropper early in the lap just to get fully warmed up. So good. Just need the achilles to hold out so I can do a little more (lot more) proper riding.

So good to be out riding and see everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment