Sunday 1 November 2009

House Renovation 8 - various

I drop by weekly or so to take a few photos - this morning being no different. Part of the way through my browse of the house a fellow came around the corner of the yard and was surprised to see me standing there - "what the f... are you doing here" was his first offer of interaction on this nice post Halloween morning. "Well, actually this is my house so I come by all the time, that's what I'm doing here."

"Why would you buy a sh.. heap house like this?" Clearly this was going well - I'm actually on my way to the office and non-confrontational by nature, so I didn't really want to draw this out. He was "just looking for the c-train" and "can go wherever he wants because the white f...ers like me took all his land" (I thought at first he may be Philipino, as he looked really similar to a friend of mine from work , but as I'm at times a quick study, this got me thinking he was a native indian... as did the wafts of last nights alcohol ingestion too unfortunately), so I just showed him how to get around front and didn't engage in any debate, as the likelyhood of solving hundreds of years of cultural interaction issues in this setting over the next 5 minutes seemed slim. He was making like he wanted to climb through the hedge, and I'd prefer less broken foliage when 15 steps more would be fine to make it to the driveway. I did ask if he could "look for other routes than personal property to walk through next time he was in the neighbourhood" which led to "I'm going to come back and break all your windows". I did have a couple photos of him since I had camera in hand, anyway, we'll see if those are useful to the five-o any time in the future.

With the million dollar house going in behind me, and the fences both of us will end up putting up, I think the temptation to shortcut through will fix itself next year, although for now I do see the allure.

Back to pictures... probably more garage pictures than warranted, but it's the most visible of the changes going on. It's hard to get too into plumbing being removed - after all, a picture of plumbing being removed is a picture of nothing technically, plus I keep dropping by when the interior light isn't good (no electricity in house, windows boarded up, and I keep forgetting to bring a light) We'll get to the juicy interior bits over the next month or so, but it should all turn out quite nice.


Machine backed into wall so it needed to be fixed.

Fixing the busted wall.

Foundation ready for packing.

Foundation packing.

Rebar laid for the garage floor.

Garage stairs and layout starting to make more sense visually.

Driveway now poured.

Prep for foundation insulation.

Garage framing.

More garage framing.

Backyard with garage view (that's a window seen not a door) and note the foundation of the house has been excavated and insulated.

Inside garage.

Garage view from alley. It's like a giant lunchbox.

Downstairs room has concrete removed to do pluming, and all furnace ducts are now removed.

My little furnace will move to make room for a door and a sink.

This is where the plumbing will go from the garage bathroom to the basement.

Garage plumbing area.


Neighbours house starts soon too. Triple garage whopper of a house on a big lot as I understand it. I welcome more of that in the neighbourhood any day.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a fun visit to the house!

    It's looking good...

    ReplyDelete