Sunday 15 March 2009

Sunday Ride

Keith, Dallas, Craig and I met at Cadence, along with Bill Quinney and super sprinter Craig Deb-many letters sounding French. Dallas joined for coffee, then left to ride the Speed Theory noon ride, and said he still felt shattered from yesterday. As we left town we bumped into Adam Boyko who joined us as well. Generally speaking, there were more fresh legs in the group than not, and right up the first climb of Stoney Trail I felt a little empty - so much so that I ate my only pack of cliff blocks within the first 20 minutes.

I don't know how it was for the rest of the guys, but with some yesterday fatigue in my body, today's perceived exertion was high. We raced a few hills, and I guess the best way of phrasing it was at least I wasn't embarrassed by the Keith and Craig duo. After venturing north of the city for a few hours, we came back to Cochrane with perfect timing to intersect the Speed Theory group, although none but Dallas dropped into Cochrane for coffee, they were just doing a little 40k out and back.

Craig, Keith and I decided to keep going west to reverse one of our favourite loops, where I started running out of gas, but still tried to do a few training intervals where possible. I presume they enjoy riding with me as it's constant reaffirmation of their prowess as I'm never the first to crest any hills. To be honest I don't even mind, my little accelerations are just the sucker punches that let them take off and duke it out. Keith brought back some out of this world legs from planet Tucson, he pulled us home in fade-less fashion.

All in it was 5 hours and 125k. I didn't have a spedometer yesterday, but my best guess is this was a 12 hour, 300k weekend. Feeling good for this time of year, although yesterday might have come close, I'm feeling sort of un-bonk-able, which is nice. Whenever I'm low on energy it feels like the fat metabolism can tide me over.

Tori left a big pan of potatoes and onions on the stove. It's like distilled love as far as I can tell. Pure carb bombs with some flavour. And she's bringing home a large pizza. This week will consist of a few commutes at granny pace to keep me from seizing up, and probably a few intervals Thursday, and lots of R&R.


2 comments:

  1. Un-bonk-able? Big statement Bakke. I wish I had the legs to challenge that assertion, but unfortunately I know that I'm not even close... haha

    All jokes aside, a 300k weekend in March is the real deal - very nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still shattered. And it's Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete