Saturday 24 January 2009

Let's call this an "off week"

After the joyous bliss of hammering out nearly 300km in the relative warmth of last weekend, this weekend has taken a decidedly different pace.

First, I acquired some undesirable sickness, likely at work.  Not that bad really, but I've been congested/headachy/sore throat for a week.  I don't get sick too often, and therefore I'm not good at coping with it.  

Second, it's -23C again.  In health I don't mind any temperatures... but in sickness, I figure I should take it easy on the respiratory system.

I've done little exercise this week to allow my body's energy to go toward battling this cold.  Unfortunately this "piles up" enough extra energy that I can't sleep as soundly, so now that it's the weekend I need to get some exercise otherwise I'll go nuts at night.  Instead of miles and miles of cold sunshine weekend riding, I'm doing ultra low intensity spinning on my trainer, while devouring a box of kleenex that's on the table next to me.  Lame.

I'm dreaming of the outdoors.  Midnight singlespeed rides up to the Barrier Lake lookout under a full moon.  Pouring rain midsummer rides on my 'cross bike when everyone else is smart enough to stay inside.  The epic point to point mountain bike rides we've been dreaming of trying when we're at the time of year when we have long hours of sunlight to try to pull them off.  Hopefully the baking heat of TransPortugal.

Anything but more trainer and kleenex!

No comments:

Post a Comment