Saturday 6 December 2008

Saturday Epic

Devin, Craig, Keith and I met at Cadence at 10 with the idea to ride, explore and have fun. Each was achieved in quantity.



We rode through Bowness, where a little slip caused trouble with Craig's derailleur housing. It shredded and gave no shifting support, although he made it to west of 22 before it needed attention. We fixed it well enough to keep going, and at that point Devin elected to turn around. Maybe his crystal ball was working.



We rode out to the Shell Jumpingpound gas plant, where I had a route figured out that clearly got us to a road I'd ridden before on my motorcycle. Unfortunately some detail was missed, so we put the "cross country" back in cross country. Well site roads, hay fields, cow trails, bushes, doubletrack, indian reserve, and hopefully staying on the right side of the elk/bison fence. I think it's safe to say this route to Cochrane had never beed ridden before - I also don't think it's ever taken me 3 hours to get to Cochrane.

Zone of exploration.  Note large square area between roads.  It has been explored.




2 mochachino's and a day old muffin got me going for the remainder of the ride, while Craig and Keith doubled up on cheese bun and carrot cake. It's funny, that was actually the only food I ate all ride, no on bike snacks or anything, the energy just flows from within.  Rather pleasant actually. I feel way to good on the bike for this time of year, talk about odd timing.



We dragged Keith back home the scenic way - most of the route was new to him... Retreat Road, Glendale Road, Symon's Valley. Not a bad change of scenery for a day's ride to the same town we ride to all summer long.



My door to door time was about 5.5 hours of riding time, I'm not sure what the hike a bike section added up to. Sun up to sun down.



Unprecedented route for an unprecedented day!

No comments:

Post a Comment