Sunday 13 April 2008

Pure Sunday enjoyment, and hill intervals

I woke up at 8am, but instead of getting up, I rolled over and slept till 10 to recuperate from the birthday dinner with the gang last night. Ahhh, such luxury.

It's so fun to go out and see how all of us are growing up and defining the lives we want. Especially since I've bumped into a few others lately from youth who certainly haven't done much, or who have just dug their holes deeper.

Tori made a nice breakfast, and we geared up to go ride south of the city. As we were leaving the house, Devin called for a Nose Hill ride with Shawn. I had to let Tori do her own thing and go ride some hills!

Nose Hill is nice right now, not muddy, just tacky in a few spots. We did 7 hills, with Devin and Shawn slaying them, and me dragging along in the distance behind. Good workout, and got a few of my muscles a little more used to the mountain bike position. The descents were good practice for the Coulee Cruiser, fast and narrow but fairly smooth. We stopped and just watched the world go by for a while, it's nice not freezing every time you stop.

Devin was meeting Shannon for a walk with Merrik by Edgemont, so I rode west with him, planning to do a stop by my parents house to see the progress on the deck project. I diverted to do a few climbs in Edgemont, then went to my favourite short steep climb in Hawkwood for some high intensity repeats. Part way through my workout Jack Funk's wife Vera spotted the deadgoat kit and came over for a chat.

After I blew myself up on the hill work, it was a short cruise over to mom and dads for juice, cookies, and chat.

Why can't life always be that simple?

On the way home I bumped into James Larter, whom I hadn't seen in a while. His Popeye arms are bigger than my legs, I guess if I had full contact fighting as my hobby like biking I'd need to do the same. He's on recovery time currently as a month ago he had his neck broken, scar on the throat shows where they entered to put in plates, hoping to fuse some vertabrae. Ouch. It was a nice Sunday afternoon to be outside, regarldess if it was biking or recovery walking.

1 comment:

  1. I wish all sundays could be like that. Even though we didn't ride together, I had fun with you. Sleeping in, watching silly youtube videos together, biking in spectacular weather, hanging out together...it doesn't get much better than that.

    ReplyDelete