Friday 18 January 2008

Las Vegas night 1

This city, or at least the part of the city I'm in, is one of the strangest places on earth. I'm in a ridiculously beatiful hotel room at the Wynn, but even though it seems special to me I'm sure there's thousands of them around. The decor and size is impressive, there's actually some style here rather than just a gaudy room. I love the tranquil music playing when I enter the room and the plasma TV with the screensaver of tranquil scenes.

We had a fantastic dinner at a completely over the top price. To quote the Matrix, my steak was juicy and delicious, to an unprecedented degree. We drank wines from world renowned vinyards and vintages.

All this is funded by the hoardes of people, including the group I'm with, that finds entertainment in gambling. Drinks are free at the tables, but in the elapsed time I see people order to receive drink, they lose $500 at the table. I'm not sure that's really free, but it's a good business recipe.

Everyone here must have a story, what an eclectic crowd. Some bald Chinese dude counted out like forty thousand-dollar bills in front of me even though he was drunk enough that standing was a challenge, and there's a heck of a lot of good looking "rental units" walking around the hotel, if you get my drift.

Tomorrow we're driving 2,000lb Lotus race cars with over 200 hp that corner unbelievably and do 0-100 in 4 seconds. That's a piece of excess I can hardly wait for.

It's all about unbridled waste and consumption I guess. To make up for the excess, the free bottled water has been processed by carbon filtration, reverse osmosis, microfiltration, UV treatment and ozonation. Maybe it's purity makes up for what this city dishes out?

No comments:

Post a Comment