Sunday 20 January 2008

Las Vegas cycling Saturday

I slept in till 9 then got ready for some riding today, and quicly observed that not many people seem to wear cycling clothes around the Wynn.

I took a taxi to the Las Vegas Cyclery and rented a Santa Cruz Blur. One block over from the shop was a slower street that was marked with signs saying it was a downtown to Red Rock cycing route. It's a gentle climb west of the city, it was big ring stuff with mountain bike gears. Lots of cyclists out. As I left town I hooked up with a roadie and got some trail instructions. He was an ex-New Zealand pro, so in a half hour I was done my high intensity for the day.

I rode out to Blue Diamond which is I think about 25 miles. Not sure why Blue Diamond exists, it's a really small place but it's a trailhead to some decent cycling trails. From Blue Diamond I rode 2 hours of trails. Had a good time, enjoyed the views, the bike, the sun, and the quiet. The ride back was faster than the way out and was quite a bit easier.

Taxis aren't keen on pickups out at the bike shop, so I bussed it back. Met the working class of Vegas - landscapers, IHOP waitresses, etc. Interesting experience. I transferred once I hit Las Vegas boulevard and took the Deuce down the strip (their double decker bus). Interesting experience. Versus the $30 trip to the bike shop, the trip back only cost $3.

Nick stopped by my room to pick up his luggage, count his gambling winnings, and empty out the snacks in my minibar for his kids (jellybeans and such). I'm sure they'll only cost $87 or so.

We dined at Aureole in Mandalay bay, I quite enjoyed it although it was quite a bit more mass market than Alex.

Believe it or not, after dinner was two hours in "Rum Jungle". I don't usually find myself in places like that, but the neon lit 2 story bar was interesting. I liked the bikini gymnasts swinging from a trapeeze sugestively 2' above me while I'm ordering drinks. The were spinning enough to give me motion sickness while just standing there. An apple martini, a beer, a redbull, a shooter from the girl walking on the bar who determined that I looked like I absolutely needed a shot poured down my throat while being clutched between her breasts, etc. Made the night a bit of a runaway.

My tired legs could hardly stand, and by the time we returned to the Wynn everyone was intent on gambling. Instead of outcasting myself I yielded to the peer pressure and donated $200 to the benefit of Las Vegas. I'm actually somewhat impressed that $200 lasted me 90 minutes instead of 10, which is no where near as cost effective as $100 taxi + bike rental + bus which occupied 7 hours of my day. I considered walking away when $200 became $400, but I realized how clevr it is that people walk away under only 2 circumstances - they're out of money or they're the last out of their friends (everyone else is gone). Walking away when you're up isn't a practical option when all the buddies are there. Clever business dynamic that hadn't dawned on me prior.

No comments:

Post a Comment