Saturday 15 September 2007

Love affair of the Western Provinces

Manitoban single speeder at XC8,

Let's clarify that "mope" was a filler word that probably I could have politely excluded, and be clear that nowhere did I (or will I) put a name out. Even reading the results didn't 100% identify the comment. Putting a name to the remark was your call.

However, there's small reason I didn't use a word with a more positive tone...

1. Climb one - I was surprised that you came back onto the "main line" before your bike was in front of mine... your rear wheel still overlapped my front wheel by a foot and a half, which became a forced (and somewhat forceful) wheel rub when you cut left onto the line. It's a small thing that got to me. Sure it's racing, but why cut it so close? Clean passes are easier on the mind, bike and body.

2. Climb on third last lap - all three deadgoats I think were very impressed at the speed you can climb on that rigid single speed - certainly faster than I was willing and capable of putting out at that time. But what sense is it to blast by in a 15 second climb of fury only to obstruct the three race leaders on the downhill? In retrospect it was immaterial overall, but it just didn't make sense in the context of the race. You're fast downhill, but let's face it, a rigid bike is going to be tough to descend as fast on as a FS bike... especially when there's a few laps seperating us at that point? It just didn't seem to make sense to me.

It's just the way two people saw one day unfold from different vantage points. It's racing, it's fun and games and a bit of luck. You're fast as blazes on hills, no doubt about that. You should throw on a suspension fork next year for a little added joy (or pain reduction), and I'm considering doing it single speed.

More fun times to be had by all next year. And holy cow, sounds like people did a lot of driving... hook up a Westjet to Regina... not too bad on cost. And that little B&B on the hill in Moose Jaw was deee-lux.

1 comment:

  1. I wanted to go to the that event, but had business to take care of at Prov. Masters.
    Also I would have been riding a fully rigid as well, but with gears.
    Sounds like 'mope' was trying to battle right till the end?, but was somehow defeated with authority?. To NO surprise. You guys killed it, and the ladies.

    ReplyDelete