Monday 16 April 2007

Broken Record?

I've established a pattern lately - work more hours than generally recommended during the week, and bike as many hours as possible on weekends. I'm happy that the second portion of that statement is still holding true at least. So here's my 5 minute post at whatever past 10pm on a Monday (and yes, I'll be here at 6am tomorrow), which has been another typical unsavory start to the workweek. I'm not breaking any records, but I realize I'm beginning to sound like a broken record!

Last week, my Nigerian/Canadian co-worker George, who in a cruel twist of fate sits under the coldest vent in the office despite never experiencing a temperature below 28C until he moved away from Nigeria, passed along a piece of advice he recently received from his wife. I'll paraphrase it as:

"You can't keep doing the same thing and expecting a different result. If you want a different result, try a different approach."

This is a common bit of wisdom. I've often heard it often phrased in terms of "banging your head against the wall".

George is quiet. But like many on the quieter side, proof is in the pudding as each carefully chosen word clearly carries value.

Thank's George. Great tip. I owe you one.

No comments:

Post a Comment