Saturday 3 March 2007

Tucson Bound


We started off a little shaky this morning, airport lineups were long for all the first US bound flights. The airport greeter granny put us in long lineups, by the third switch to the back of adjacent lines she had it right. Not really fun standing for the first 45 minutes and making no progress. Despite this being a United booking, Air Canada was flying us to Los Angeles... aargh, the evil empire again.

After clearing US customs, I have to open my bike box for the magic wand examination. Then I go to put it on the baggage coveyor. Guy wants me to leave it beside so he can load it. I let him know I'll probably hang around to see it go, saying I've had really poor luck with Air Canada. "Recently?" He asks? No, pretty much always. "Yeah, they're the worst. Good luck." He says as he loads my bike. Not the vote of confidence I need with my new baby at the start of a bike vacation.

We do the security check, more lineups, and I have to get my carry on double-checked by the staff. They go right for the pocket of my bag with a Cliff Bar in it, take it out, use the wand, and seem satisfied. Odd.

Devin comes through carrying all his stuff in a pile, so we stop at a bench for him to get his shoes, belt, etc. back on again. I gaze out the window, and down on a road on the tarmac see a lone suitcase in the middle of the road, that had undoubtedly fallen off the tractor. Bad omen. Someones's screwed, and it's not me (yet). I seriously don't understand how the rates of lost and delayed baggage I've experienced in travelling is even remotely acceptable. It's ridiculous.

We did a long-ish walk across terminals at LAX and went trhough security... almost. When I was rearranging my packing last night, I put my new cycling shoes in my carry on bag. Unfortunately, sometime earlier in the evening I put my Leatherman in my shoe. Oddly enough it wasn't noticed leaving Calgary, but it was here. Guy wasn't even remotely fazed or alarmed - "no worries man, people forget things". Two choices - go check bag or throw out $90 Leatherman. Being fond of gadgets, and of not wasting money, I headed back to check one bag. Of course that lineup wasn't very short, airport lines never are. They gave me some speil about checking my stuff 45 minutes before I board, I'm not sure it sank in that I wasn't planning it this way. The guy in front of me was doing the same routine as his shampoo bottle was too large for carry on.

I made it through security the second time, and up to the boarding area with one minute to go before scheduled boarding, only to have everything delayed by a half an hour.

Once boarded, a United staffer came on board looking for "Mr. Bake"... Once I identified that I was there, she didn't even ask me anything, just walked away. The fellow sitting next to me said "I bet you don't pronounce it that way, do you?". Nope, but I've heard it enough in life to recognize it. He said "Bakke, famous name, people should know that. What brings you to Tucson?". Turns out he's a big cyclist. We hit it off, he's 62 and is helping out as man number 2 on his buddies cycling company tours. Also, he's got a couple of bikes available for rent should Air Canada not come through.

I have to admit, once we deplaned and made our way to the baggage carousel, I was EXSTATIC to see my bike box come off right away. And my luggage, and my last checked backpack from LA. I've never been so happy having just my basic, pre-arranged service needs actually met. Everything's looking good!

2 hours of beautiful riding, great dinner, life is good!

1 comment: