Tuesday 20 March 2007

Still Re-Living Sunday

My one regret from Sunday was that I didn't have a camera with me. In all my years of riding I'd never seen my bike ice up like that.

Fortunately, Per Strom had his camera out. I'm glad I saw his blog post, looks like we experienced the exact same brown ice crud. I had more ice on my front spokes, and my front hub was entirely encased as well. Further, my BB area which gets road spray coming out from below my fenders (same fenders as Per), had about 3cm thick of ice, plus icicles hanging down. Ridiculous! Took me forever to chip off enough with my multi-tool to be able to use a couple of gears.

Interestingly enough his Powertap worked fine as well. I've had far too many "issues" with my original Powertap SL... as in I purchased it over 18 months ago, and I've probably had 4 months of functional use out of it since then. I've recently received a new computer for it, new wiring harness, and all new hub internals, apparently all of which have been upgraded.

My intention was to immediately sell the brand new setup on eBay to cut my losses, but all the online user reviews I've read suggest that the new parts have addressed all the issues. So I decided to bite the bullet and give it another go... and it worked fine for the first ride. We'll see how it holds up.

No comments:

Post a Comment