Tuesday 8 May 2012

Ode to a Tuesday

Markets stink this week, but I don't care.

I have really awesome friends who are super fun to hang out with, and who happened to ride bikes really awesomely at Nose Hill Park tonight. Craig and Shawn killed the hills both up and down. Jay and I watched from a ways behind.

Our route even was awesome. First climb up this little valley, we come around the corner and there's some girls doing like a nature scene modelling photography shoot. They were impressed enough to compliment us on our ascending speed (I'm not making that up). Why can't biking always be like that? (Yes, of course we did one more lap).

About 5 climbs later we did the nice steady long singletrack climb near Shaganappi. I was say 15m behind Craig and Shawn. Guy at the side of the trail riding a bike downhill had pulled over. When I rode by he said (referring to Shawn and Craig) "I can't even ride downhill as fast as those guys were riding up". Bam, again I'm not making this up. I think it was 7 hard climbs in total. I topped out on my speed as usual, but didn't feel much fade or pain from it all. So I don't get much faster, but just being fit is such a deep down good feeling. It's nice when a body responds to challenge without crumbling.

We did a handful more climbs, but a bit easier, and did more emphasis on sessioning the downhill. Less brakes. More fun.

The Flash got it's first real pushing. It's incredible. Super light, super stiff, great handling, super traction, beauty brand new drivetrain. Amazing piece of machinery. I've ridden plenty of nice bikes, and with that context, this thing still leaves me dumbfounded.

Craig and I rode down to Shouldice to see Cindy's soccer for a bit and said hi to Cindy, Kristen and Karli who were all smiles. Sat on the side in the warm sun.

Came home and had a Tiger Malt and can of tuna with rye bread. Honestly I don't know if a day can be served up any more awesome.

That's an 11 out of 10 evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment