Sunday 18 September 2011

Bow 80ish

My body woke up early in anticipation of the longer drive to Bragg Creek from Banff than from Calgary, despite the fact that we left the dance floor just as a table ornament went up in flames (in a log cabin style building) and the courgars were out in force on the dance floor.

Nice drive in the dark, saw a few deer that decided not to jump out on the road - but pulling into Station Flats the thermometer never budged over -3.5C. I haven't been in below zero for a while. I've felt better before in the morning, and more rested. Part of me wonders why why why one would do this.

I walk to checkin and even with gloves my hands sting. I ended up being in the top 5 at checkin ; ) which is the last top 5 I'll do today. But I see the Ger, and that always makes things better. Then I hit up a few more minutes of tunes, race package and heated seats. Deadgoats stream by. And the sun comes up. Why? Because it is. It's mountain biking. Its awesome to breathe cold air on a Sunday morning.  I was thinking more like this.



Until the fail part. I was riding say 25th with all the fast friends up front and out of sight, then my rear shifter pod stopped working. I bailed at the checkpoint before going on Powderface. At least it happened near a good bailout point. It didn't seem like a good day to try to grind it out in some hard gear single speeding. My achilles felt a little wimpy at 'cross two weeks ago when the course had more run ups on the big hill.

That's all. Underwhelming. Oh well.



Cindy and I did a couple hours of urban cyclocross after which helped round out the afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment