Saturday 3 July 2010

BCBR Day 7

Today was the "XC Race" of the week, a short intense stage.  I woke up feeling groggy and sluggish, but wanted to finish stronger than I started the week.  I almost had a totally  awesome day but will settle for pretty good.

Big gravel climb at the start, different course than last year though.  I started at the back of the A's, and wanted to pace.  Half way up I thought it was going slow, but had a moral debate that pushing out to the side and passing was stupid energy use.  Conservatism didn't win, I rode up to friends I hadn't seen all week - Pat, Andy, Gian, Norm and Wendy, etc.

First problem started here - A group leaders took us into a singletrack descent that was supposed to be used to loop back later.  I should have known as I pre-rode a bit.  If I had gone the right way instead of following the herd, I'd have been up by a few minutes.  So much for independent thought.

We all ducked down and re-climbed the hill, then molded into the B's and had a big group to sort out.  I threw caution to the wind and figured that if I blew in the estimated 1:45 time I'd deal with that later.  We rode up some nice downhill course switchbacks then dropped into "crank it up" which is sculpted jumps the whole way.  It's awesome to be juggling with other riders on double jumps, man it's awesome.

Dropped back to start, then looped through the Lost Lake Zappa trails, all named in Zappa-esque names.  Worked my way forward to a spot I hadn't seen all race, then... front tire started softening.  Had to stop to pump it rock hard and hope it'd seal or just leak slowly enough to make it to the end, the Kiwi's and Gian and a bunch of others flew by.

Great variety of trails, if you don't like stuff out there, you're in the wrong sport.

I tried to chase on, only partially successfully.  Did what I could to the end, and coasted on the downhill finish to end the week.  No idea of place or time, who cares, a short ride doesn't create time differences, but probably a much better finish to the week than a start ; )  it's nice to know there's a bike rider inside somewhere.

Fairmont took my luggage to room so I'm showered and checked in ahead of lines for once, kind of like the good old days, haven't really seen anyone else yet.

 

1 comment: