Thursday 8 October 2009

Things that work/don't work


Things that don't work: West Coast Budgeters and me

I've spent a bit of time perusing the Vancouver airport this morning, checking out the pre-Olympic updates, should turn out nice, just wonder when the west coast will ever learn how to budget in a manner that shows an understanding that taxpayer dollars shouldn't be measured as a zero cost of capital (I say west coast as the "Governator" on TV this morning serves as reminder this isn't only a BC phenomenon).

My functionality has dropped precipitously lately. Got home late last night, couldn't find my preferred carry on travel backpack, appropriate clothes, travel charger, and my Air Canada upgrade certificate book. I'm not used to being such a mess, but I guess I've grown up to be 31, homeless, single and unorganized (tongue in cheek). Sometimes I wonder.

Things that work: Macs and less planning

I've found I enjoy carry on traveling. Planning in advance works well for many things, but I find way too much of my life is planned in advance. Tori has told me many times how much she loves and cherishes my affinity for last minute travel planning ; )

The Macbook Air is, in this guy's humble opinion, what laptops have been aiming to achieve since they were invented. Simple. Fast to boot (esp. with that solid state drive). Light. Not a royal pain in the ass to carry around - just a right sized travel tool. For all its elegance - it's just that - a tool. However I pick "tool" as a complimentary word - so functional and right that I don't spend time thinking about the machine itself; I just use it (other than this drivel). Proliferation of public Wi-Fi and tools like this have changed airport layovers forever - seriously what was earth like before unending access to YouTube, Facebook, any movie or song I'd ever care to watch or hear, and streaming live quotes from the same app as my desktop at FirstEnergy?


1 comment:

  1. Erik, I really enjoyed your write-up in the Western Cyclist magazine. Hopefully it's a sign of more to come ?

    ReplyDelete