Saturday 20 October 2007

Lumberjack, almost

The Becker's were requisitioning men for some free labour to stock their cabin with firewood for the winter, and considering I've enjoyed a few fires out there, it seemed like a natural thing to help out with.

I rode my bike out to Cremona, leaving at 6:15 in the cold dark of a fall morning, just to get some exercise in before the day started. It was beautiful to watch the pre-dawn landscape come to life, but the chill of descending Cochrane hill never really left me as I headed north.

Timing was perfect as they passed me right as I was rolling into Cremona - from there it was a quick parking lot change out of my sweaty clothes, a quick stop at the cabin, then the commute up near Willesden Green (I don't know if there's any surface feature of that name, but that's strike name from the petroleum industry). We drove down an active lease road and started raping mother nature...

All in, it was 5 hours of work. Hauling logs from 20 to 100lbs, loading them into the truck, and generally just feeling sort of manly on a nice fall day. A few beers and some chili knocked me out for the ride home, it was a pretty activity filled day that wiped me out.

If I have any problems on the La Ruta hike a bike stuff, my Rocky Balboa training obviously didn't work out.

No comments:

Post a Comment