Sunday 8 January 2012

Sunshine, or lack thereof

Shawn, Cindy and I decided for a Sunshine ski day with Matt and Jenn Joss. Also bumped into Nic Christofferson. Fun times. Nice temps, best snow I've had this year, best company and most fun. Grey out, but saw terrain relief on all but say a quarter of one run in morning, one in aft.

After a first run ledge drop on Standish that got me inverted and intimate with the snow that was Shawn's first witness of my lack of skill, we settled into a few runs of keeping to the fall line on Standish face. I'm impressed - Bunnin has never mentioned much of his snow sporting, but he's as slick as his hipster style, and flows *almost* as good as he does on a 'cross bike. It's like his youth in that flat postage stamp province was all a cover up. Cindy asked to join on the steeps in a display of confidence. Good stuff.

Few runs on Wawa, then a tour up Teepee Town to scout it, but into the lodge for lunch. Footlong gourmet hotdog with chili. Can't beat that. Plus we mixed blue and purple Gatorade to make Blurple.

Back over to Teepee town to hit the Shoulder, probably been 5 years since I was there. Came around to the traverse on the cliff and there's a guy just above me. He turns around says I can go first, he's waiting. I look up and it's VADIM the DREAM! We spent most of university right in that very spot together. Heavenly. We hooked far skiers right for some fresh turns he had scouted, then had to hike out a bit. Seeing him bounce turns effortlessly left and right was like a decade flashback; it made me so happy.

Did one on Goat's eye, and true to Vadim's old saying, was great, just the first 10 turns had rocks.

After that stayed down low, watched some kid fall off the lift like 2m after loading, which caused a 15 min stop and lots of paramedics standing around.

Finished on part of the back door I hadn't done before, more trees and less open. All in a super day.

No comments:

Post a Comment